Dracaena trifasciata is also known as “Snake Plant”, It is species of flowering plant in the family Asparagaceae. Snake Plants are native to tropical West Africa from Nigeria east to the Congo. It also knows ad mother-in-law’s tongue, and viper’s bowstring hemp Saint George’s sword. It also contains saponins which are mildly toxic to dogs and cats. It is an evergreen perennial plant forming dense stands, spreading by way of its creeping rhizome, Snake Plant(Dracaena trifasciata) Mature leaves look dark green with light gray-green cross-banding and usually range from (2.3–3.0 ft) long and (2.0–2.4 in) wide, the heights can be reached above (6 ft) in optimal conditions.
How to identify the Snake Plant (Dracaena trifasciata)
- Shape and Sharp margins of its leaves.
- Its leaves are sometimes above ground, sometimes underground.
- Its stiff leaves grow vertically from a basal rosette.
- Its Mature leaves are dark green with light gray-green cross-banding and usually range from 70–90 centimeters (2.3–3.0 ft) long and 5–6 centimeters (2.0–2.4 in) wide.
What are the benefits of Snake Plants?
- It is the source of plant fibers used to make bowstrings.
- It is exchanged oxygen and carbon dioxide using the crassulacean acid metabolism process. Which allows them to withstand drought. The microscopic pores on the plant’s leave.
- It is tolerant of low light levels and Its need watering only every couple of month.
- It is best for cultivating houseplants for its easy care.
- It filters indoor air, removing 4 of the 5 main toxins which are involved in the effects of sick building syndrome.
- It can be easily propagated by cuttings or by dividing the rhizome.
How to care the Snake Plants
- If it uses as an outdoor plant so keeps in warmer climates
- If it uses as an Indoor plant so keeps in cooler climates.
- Don’t need too much water during winters.
- Do not water too frequently as well
- The large leaves tend to collect dust; wipe them down with a damp cloth as needed.
Divide and repot in the spring. Snake Plant live average 5 to 10 years. According to some certain condition most of the plant live life more then 25 years. Snake plant usually grow in any light level but if we compare the low to light to high light the snake plant grow quickly in brighter light. If we talk about the placing of plant so best place for this plant 10feet away from west or south window.